E-Mail : zainbagir[at]gmail.com
Zainal Abidin Bagir, Ph.D. is the Director of the Center for Religious and Cross-cultural Studies (CRCS), a Master’s program at the Graduate School of Gadjah Mada University (GMU), Yogyakarta, Indonesia. He is also a member of the Board of Trustee of Indonesian Consortium for Religious Studies (ICRS-Yogya), representing GMU. In 2009 he was appointed as Indonesian Associate for UNESCO Chair in Interreligious and Intercultural Relations – Asia Pacific (associated with the Chair at Monash University, Australia).
Zainal received his doctorate in the Department of History and Philosophy of Science, Indiana University. His previous education includes undergraduate in mathematics (Bandung Institute of Technology, Indonesia, 1992) and Master’s program in Islamic philosophy and science (International Institute of Islamic Thought and Civilization, ISTAC, Kuala Lumpur, 1994).
He is currently the Indonesian Regional Coordinator for the Pluralism Knowledge Programme, a collaboration between four academic centers in Netherlands, India, Indonesia and Uganda. The program includes coordinating three local researches and initiating the publication of Annual Report on Religious Life in Indonesia since 2008. Recently he led a research (2008-2009) on four decades of discourse and practice of inter-religious dialogue in Indonesia. At CRCS he teaches Academic Study of Religion, Philosophy of Religion, and Religion, Science and Technology. At the Philosophy Department of GMU he teaches philosophy of science and of technology. He conducts research and writes on subjects related to religion and contemporary issues, with special attention to religion and science and to the Muslim world, and issues on the relation between religious communities.
SELECTED PUBLICATIONS :
- Annual Report on Religious Life in Indonesia 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, and 2012, published by CRCS-UGM. (Co-authors: Suhadi, Mustaghfiroh Rahayu, Budi Asyhari, Marthen Tahun, Najiyah Martiam).
- “Shari’a in the Secular State: Challenge or Opportunity? Response to Abdullahi An-Na`im”, in Rethinking The Secular – Pluralism Working Paper No. 1, (Promoting Pluralism Knowledge Programme, Netherland, December 2009).
- “Evolution and Creation in the Muslim World: Ambiguities and Politics of Identity” in a book commemorating 150 years of Charles Darwin’s Origins of Species (ATF Press, Forthcoming, July 2010).
- “Religion and Public Reason: Two Challenges for Moderate Muslims”, in Bayang-Bayang Fanatisme (“Shadows of Fanaticism”), Penerbit Paramadina, Jakarta. ( May 2007).
- “Islam in Contemporary ‘Science and Religion’ Discourse”, in God, Human, and Cosmos, a Fetschchrift for Louis Leahy, Kanisius, December 2007.
- Science, Ethics, and Religions (2006), published by CRCS-UGM. (Co-editor with Liek Wilardjo, Arqom Kuswanjono, and Mohamad Yusuf).
- Integration of Science and Religion : Interpretation and Action (2005), Mizan Publisher. (Co-Editor with Jarot Wahyudi and Afnan Anshori).
- Science and Religion in the Post-colonial World: Interfaith Perspectives (2005), Australasian Theological Press (ISBN: 192-0691-34-0). (Editor) [In English].
- “Repositioning Religion in Indonesia”, in Garin Nugroho, ed., Dreamers of Change: Indonesia in Transition, Penerbit Sains-Teknologi-Estetika, Jakarta, 2004 (co-authored with Irwan Abdullah).